Screen houses canopies - Blinds in birmingham.
Screen Houses Canopies
- (Screen House) An onshore treatment building containing a series of large, traveling screens. These screens are designed to remove large objects and debris from lake water prior to chemical water treatment.
- Cover or provide with a canopy
- (canopy) the umbrellalike part of a parachute that fills with air
- (canopy) cover with a canopy
- (canopy) the transparent covering of an aircraft cockpit
The Stoll Bedminster Hippodrome BS3
Memories of Bristol Cinema
The Stoll picture theatre, or Bedminster Hippodrome BS3 as was pictured in the early 1920s not long after films took place of live acts - The show carried on for another 20 years until the Hitler's bombers left this fine building in ruins.
The Hippodrome/Stoll, East Street, Bedminster, 1915-1941
The Hippodrome was situated in East Street, between Essex Street and Lombard Street. It opened as a music hall in July 1911, owned by Walter de Fleece. It was a very wide, beautiful building with two enormous side turrets, a large canopy and broad white steps. Unfortunately, De Fleece ran into money problems and had to sell. In stepped Mr Stoll, who had built the Hippodrome in St Augustine's Parade. He converted the music hall to a cinema in May 1915 and, always one for self-publicity, renamed it the Stoll Picture Theatre, known locally as the Stoll.
An unusual feature of the cinema was its orchestrated organ. Sometimes the cinema put on a variety act between films; Tessie O'Shea and Randolph Sutton both performed there.
Russ Conway, the great pop pianist of the 1950s and '60s, came to this picture house as a young lad. He recalled occasions when a distraught manager had to shut down a film because of problems, leaving a well-lit but blank screen.The film usually came back but while they were waiting there was a huge amount of noise from people shouting and stamping their feet, and the manager would tell them to shut up.
The Stoll received a direct hit during the bombing on 3 January 1941 and was destroyed.
A Streamline Moderne Villa of Red and Brown Bricks - Coonans Hill
Built in a ribbon development along a tramline during the 1930s, this clinker brick Streamline Moderne Art Deco villa in the Melbourne suburb of Coonans Hill is very evocative of the age when modernity and minimalism were the keywords of the day.
The choice of locally manufactured red and brown bricks, the Art Deco swirls just discernible on the wrought-iron vestibule grille, the clinker brick features above the windows and the geometric patterns in the leadlight and frost glass windows are typical of the uncluttered lines of Australian Art Deco architecture in the late 30s, just before the Second World War. However what makes this villa so much more unusual than its more traditional neighbours is its wonderful rounded enclosed vestibule. Rounded and featuring minimal decoration it is the epitome in Streamline Moderne living for the chic 1930s family!
The whole house is surrounded by well kept garden of magnolias, roses and camelias with hedges and a well kept lawn.
cheap drapery fabrics
cordless top down bottom up cellular shades
booka shade movements blogspot
mahogany canopy beds